Whether you consider yourself a progressive/ liberal, conservative, or moderate, or any other, so – called, label, most would agree, the degree of dysfunction, in the United States of America’s political system, appears to be, at an all – time high, at least, in recent memory! There is very little purpose, in playing the blame – and – complain, game, yet, that is precisely what we witness, almost daily. Rather than having productive discussions, and civil discourse, those with differing perspectives, and political positions/ views, each side often, blames the others, and proceeds, with blinders, and resorts to often, being unwilling to, even, listen, to anyone with a differing opinion! With that in mind, this article will attempt to briefly, consider, review, and discuss, what I refer to, as the sad, pitiful, unproductive, 5 D’s of today’s political discourse.
1. Delusion: It’s often, challenging, to know, if certain individuals, in politics, actually believe what they say, or if it is merely, political rhetoric, but, regardless, there is always danger, when this path is pursued. Are these politicians, delusional, or are their followers, or both? What harm might occur, when reality is ignored, and they believe, only, their opinions and perspectives? When facts are replaced by Fake Facts, delusion replaces relevant, sustainable, viable solutions! For example, is our President, delusional, lying, or self – serving?
2. Distortion: When we are represented by people, who distort the issues, to serve their personal/ political agenda, and/ or self – interest, the public generally suffers. While each person is certainly, entitled to his opinion, no one is entitled to their own set of facts!
3. Diversion: The political era of Donald Trump, will be evaluated, in the future, and historians will consider, why so many people, seemed to be willing to accept the many diversions, rather than demand, better! Doesn’t it seem, often, when things seem to be, going, other than President Trump’s way, he resorts to diversion, to take our attention away from challenging, and/ or, concerning issues?
4. Digression: Wouldn’t it be nicer, and better, for our citizens, if, we would have our perceptions, priorities, and concerns, addressed, and answered, rather than, when questions were asked, our so – called representative, digressed, and changed the subject?
5. Desperation: Often, politicians, and public/ elected officials, resort to desperate measures, in order to serve their best interests, rather than ours! Why don’t we elect people, willing to listen effectively, to all opinions, rather than, merely, their own view?
Consider these 5 D’s, so we can focus on what we need, rather than politics, and rigidity! When will the American electorate, wake – up, and elect leaders, who possess integrity, ethics, and focus on the common good?
This article is brought to you by Kokula Krishna Hari Kunasekaran! Visit Website or Follow back at @kkkhari