How many more, must die, before, enough Americans, articulate a message, similar, the famous line, from the movie, Network, which proclaims, I'm mad as hell, and not going to take it any more ? Even though, public polls, indicate, the public, overwhelming, support, some sane gun control measures, including: better background checks; eliminating huge gun clips; reducing access to automatic weapons; licensure; mental health testings, etc, the politicians, especially, President Donald Trump, and his enablers, seem, because of either, political motives (financial, etc), or other reasons, continue, to refuse, to take, meaningful, responsible actions, for the common good! Haven't we had, ENOUGH, of this type of political leadership? With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, using the mnemonic approach, what this means and represents, and, why, Americans must, become less apathetic, or we will all suffer.
1. Empathy; emphasis; education: Whenever, the opponents of sane gun control, wish to build – up, opposition to any measures, they, use the same, playbook , which is to try, to create fear, from gun owners. They always, discuss, so – called, 2nd Amendment Rights, yet, distort, this, by claiming, they are entitled to own guns. The reality is, however, and has been affirmed by two past Supreme Court Justices, the right to bear arms, had to do, with state militias, and, since, most states had few sources of revenue, their volunteer militia members, would need to own their own gun. In fact, as recently as the middle part of the 20th Century, this explanation was rarely used. When any personal right, interferes with those of others, to live, safely, and securely, change is needed! The officials, who refuse to listen, and won't proceed with genuine empathy, and an emphasis, on a balance between owning a gun, and doing so, responsibly, need greater education, compassion, and willingness to serve the common / greater good !
2. Needs; nerve: Whose needs, should be served – the supposed right to own a gun, or the public's need, for more safety, and far less, gun violence? We must elect people, with the nerve, to resist the efforts, to be influenced, by Political Action Committees!
3. Options; opportunities: It is possible, to balance, the right of safe, gun owners, with the rights of the public, in general? If politicians would seek, common sense solutions, and the opportunities, to bring us, together, for the common good, this should be able to be addressed!
4. Useful; usual / unusual; urgent: Hasn't the time, passed, when we considered, this violence, as an urgent matter, which needs to be, a priority? This has been going on, for a while, so, both the usual, and unusual aspects, have mostly been witnessed, and steps must be taken! What good are public leaders, if they fail to address essential issues, in a useful manner?
5. Generate goodwill; greater good; gun / guns: While, gun ownership, for sporting reasons, is fine, if the owners, are responsible, we need to take a serious look, at the types of guns / weapons, allowed! Does any hunter need, a military, attack weapon, or any gun, with a larger, than necessary, clip? Shouldn't the presiding consideration, be, serving the greater good, generating goodwill, and protecting the public's safety, and well – being?
6. Healing; humanity; head / heart: This has become an emotional issue, when, it should be, considered, with a balance of our logical and emotional components, in a head / heart balance! Healing humanity, and, common sense, must prevail!
How many more must die, and be seriously wounded, both, physically, and emotionally, before we say, ENOUGH ? It's well, past – time, for more sane gun safety / controls!
This article is brought to you by Kokula Krishna Hari Kunasekaran! Visit Website or Follow back at @kkkhari